Learn how to use iMessage on the iPhone, one of the great new features added by iOS 5. For anyone unfamiliar with iMessage, it is essentially a free version of texting and is very similar to the Blackberry Messenger service. Using iMessage is identical to texting and does not cost anything (beyond the minimal amount of data used).
You Will Need:
- iPhone with iOS 5.0 or later
- Internet connection (WiFi or carrier data connection)
1. Turn on iMessage for the iPhone by entering the Settings app.
2. Next select “Messages” (scroll down to locate) and turn the iMessage switch to “On” in order to enable iMessage. If you wish to enable read receipts, you can also do that in this screen.
3. To send a message with iMessage, simply text any friend with an enabled iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and the iPhone will automatically use iMessage to deliver your text. If the recipient is not using an iMessage enabled device, a standard SMS/MMS message will be sent.