Have you been wondering how to change your profile photo in iMessage? Well let’s go ahead and put an end to those questions right here.
Changing your avatar picture in iMessage is easy to do. For anyone unsure of what I’m talking about, check out the iMessage screenshot below. You can see that I have a picture associated with my iMessage account (on the right) while the person who I’m talking to (on the left) does not.
You may or may not know that you can set a contact as yourself on the iPad. This is how the iPad knows who you are. iMessage then pulls the picture for this contact (you) to use as the profile picture for iMessage.
In the instructions below, I’ll first make sure you have a contact for yourself (with a picture) and then show you how to tell your iPad which contact is you.
You Will Need:
- iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch with iOS 5.0 or later
- iMessage to be turned on
1. Open the Contacts app and see if there is a contact card with your name.
i. If you do see your name in the list, select your contact and click “Edit”.
ii. If you don’t see your name in the list, hit the “+” button under the contacts and create a new contact for yourself.
2. Tap the photo box next to your name and select Take Photo/Choose Photo/Edit Photo and follow the instructions to add a photo to your contact.
3. Hit “Done” and exit the Contacts app.
4. Open Settings -> Mails, Contacts, Calendars and click “My Info” under the Contacts area.
5. Make sure that your name is selected under “My Info”. If not, select your name from the list.
Now when you go back into the Messages app, you will see your picture next to your chat bubbles. That’s all there is to it!
How often do you use iMessage on your iPad? Let us know in the comments below!